Old Swansea Central Library , Universities Swansea, City of Swansea - Wales where to go, what to see and where to stay in Wales

Availability

Old Swansea Central Library in Swansea
Alexandra Road Swansea City_of_Swansea Wales
The old Swansea Central Library in Swansea was a public lending and reference library located in Alexandra Road, in the Swansea city centre. The library was designed by Henry Holtom of Dewsbury in the Italian classical style and opened in 1887 by the former and future Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone. The circular reference library, 86 feet in diameter, has a domed top, 25 feet feet high in the centre. It once housed the Dylan Thomas Collection which consisted of over 3,000 books and periodical articles written by, or about, the Swansea-born poet and author. The library was closed in November 2007. After its closure, the interior of the library building, including the domed reading room, was used extensively by BBC Wales as a location for tsome of the Doctor Who episodes. The new Swansea Central Library, opened in March 2008, is located in the Civic Centre alongside the West Glamorgan Archives Service. The old library building is now occupied by Swansea Metropolitan University's Welsh School of Architectural Glass.
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!