Theatr Colwyn & Cinema, Theatres Colwyn Bay, Conwy County - Wales where to go, what to see and where to stay in Wales

Availability

Abergele Road Colwyn Bay Conwy_County Wales
Click for more information
Theatr Colwyn was originally built in the late 1800's as a Public Hall. It was used for public entertainment, featuring the best comedians of the time, plays and pantomimes. In 1908 it was used as the drill hall for the local Territorial Army. It later became the town's first picture house, the Rialto, with moving picture shows alternating with entertainment by a group of pierrots. In 1930 the building was severely damaged by fire, and after repairs had been made it reopened as the New Rialto. In the mid 1930's Mr Stanley Ravenscroft brought a company of repertory actors to the Rialto Theatre for a nine week season. He was connected with the theatre until he resigned in 1956. In the late 1950s the theatre was faced with closure, and the Borough Council bought it, renovated it and it reopened in 1959 under the name, Prince of Wales Theatre. The Council engaged its own theatre company under Mr Geoffrey Hastings. The first season was a spectacular success, and in 18 weeks over 35,000 people saw plays performed in weekly repertory. A repertory company was based at the theatre for many years and was responsible for launching the careers of several actors and actresses who later became well known figures in the entertainment world. Today, Theatr Colwyn is still a thriving venue. We offer a varied season of live performances and cinema throughout the year.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!