Powysland Museum, Museums Welshpool, Powys - Wales where to go, what to see and where to stay in Wales

Availability

Canal Wharf Welshpool Powys Wales
In 1867 the Powysland Club was founded by members from in and around Welshpool who shared an interest in history, especially of Mid Wales. Several had their own collections of interesting items and it was decided to bring these artefacts together to form a museum. A piece of land was purchased on the corner of Red Bank and Salop Road and a Museum was erected and opened in 1874. In 1887, to mark the Jubilee of Queen Victoria, the museum was transferred under the trust to the town of Welshpool. In 1974 the running of the museum became the responsibility of Powys County Council, but during then 1980s it became obvious that the old building could no longer fulfil the requirements of a modern museum. The collection was duly moved to a former warehouse on the Montgomery Canal, which had been extensively but carefully renovated so as to retain its character whilst providing a secure and comfortable environment for the collection and visitors alike. The new museum was opened on May 30th 1990. In 1993 the museum won the Gulbenkian Award for 'most improved museum in a rural area'.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!