St Meilyrs Church, Churches and Chapels Llys y fran, Pembrokeshire - Wales where to go, what to see and where to stay in Wales

Availability

Llys y fran Pembrokeshire Wales
St Meilyr's Church stands amongst a grove of ash trees in the village of Llys y Fran, Pembrokeshire, South Wales. Since the 6th century it has provided a centre for Christian worship for the village of Llys-y-Fran and surrounding area. Though small, it is a busy and active church - the door is always open and a warm welcome awaits. | The parish church dates from the 12th century, with alterations and improvements in the ensuing centuries, and is dedicated to St Meilyr, a 6th-century Celtic saint. The church is basically a medieval church which was much restored in Victorian times, when the vestry was added.| The chancel and the nave are 12th and early 13th century, constructed chiefly in ‘medium-sized mixed rubble mostly limestone, unsquared and uncoursed, with crude medieval quoins’. Much of this has been covered with 19th century pointing outside, and 20th century rendering inside. The low, semi-circular chancel arch is the oldest part of the building.| The medieval baptistery is probably 14th or 15th century, and the ‘large, gabled double bellcote, with two plain triangular-headed openings’ is probably of similar age. There are two bells, one is dated 1632. | The limestone font has a rounded octagonal bowl and a cylindrical stem, from the 14th – 15th centuries, on a square, claw-moulded base, probably from a different font. Llys y Fran was originally a chapelry; in the 16th century it was controlled by various landowners in the district. By 1833 it was the parish church.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!