Availability

Chapel Street Stratford-upon-Avon Warwickshire England
Click for more information
Guild Chapel stands on the corner of Church Street and Chapel Lane, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire. The Perpendicular style chapel is a landmark building in the town of Stratford and overlooks the site of New Place, Shakespeare’s Stratford home, in which he died, in April 1616. The chapel was largely built in the fifteenth century, as the chapel for the Guild of the Holy Cross, which was suppressed by Henry VIII.| The story begins in 1269, when one of Stratford’s religious guilds, the Guild of the Holy Cross, obtained permission to build a hospital in the town for poor priests of the diocese.| In the 1490’s, Hugh Clopton, a native of the town who had made his fortune as a mercer in London, left money in his will for major rebuilding work on the chapel, represented today by the nave, tower and porch. At the same time the interior was lavishly decorated with wall-paintings, substantial traces of which remain, notably the Doom over the chancel arch. | The Guild was suppressed at the reformation and its extensive property, including the chapel, confiscated by the Crown until granted, in 1553 to the newly chartered Corporation of Stratford-upon-Avon.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!