St James Church Audlem, Churches and Chapels Audlem, Cheshire - England where to go, what to see and where to stay in Wales


Audlem Cheshire England
Click for more information
The church of St James the Great, Audlem, stands on a mound in the centre of the village of Audlem, Cheshire. It was given by Thomas de Aldelime to the priory of St. Thomas in Stafford in the reign of Edward I. The church is Perpendicular in style and incorporates late 13th century and early 14th century remnants with further 19th century additions and alterations. Constructed of red sandstone ashlar under a lead roof, it consists of an aisled nave, chancel and a north western tower with a south-western porch. The tower has a 19th century clockface with an iron outer ring, with gargoyles to the angles and a battlemented parapet with crocketed pinnacles at the corners. The 16th century was a period of great change: the North Arcade underwent alterations and a lofty clerestory erected with a panelled Tudor ceiling. In 1590 the porch was altered with a panelled ceiling in place of the former entrance. The stone seats of the original porch have grooves where spears and swords were sharpened. | In 1895 a major restoration was undertaken. As with many Victorian ‘restorations’ much of historic value would have been recorded and then destroyed. Sixteen coats of whitewash and plaster were removed from walls revealing on the north wall an old fresco and niches probably of a Chantry. Square pews were removed with some carvings retained in choir stalls and the Sedalia. | Particular items of interest in St James Church Audlem are: | Hundreds of small white marks can be seen on the Chancel walls where soldiers sharpened arrows on the stone before it was used in the building. These marks were probably made about 1350-1400.| Fourteenth century tiles below West window of tower. | Roman Funeral Urn (70-90 AD).| Fourteenth century wooden chest adjacent to north wall.| 15th century Font to left of pulpit.| Blocked up priest’s door on outside of south Chancel wall.| The floor is much higher than the original floor as the church, as was common practice, was at one time used for burials. The oldest part of the building is the north side, Lady Chapel and tower.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels