Penlan Chapel, Churches and Chapels Pwllheli, Gwynedd - Wales where to go, what to see and where to stay in Wales

Availability

Gaol Street Pwllheli Gwynedd Wales
Click for more information
Penlan Chapel is a Welsh Independent Chapel in Pwllheli, Gwynedd, North West Wales. The chapel was originally built in the late 17th Century and has been subject to several phases of rebuilding including a major rebuilding in 1863 as indicated on the present façade. It was later renovated in 1960 and 1988. In the 21st Century it appears to have again been renovated, probably as part of a town regeneration scheme. Although it appears that the front elevation alone (ditto the Vestry) has been painted, the effect is striking and sets a fine example for the many other chapels throughout the land. The paintwork not only brightens up the chapel but the surrounding street. The rendered chapel is in the Classical style, with a pedimented three-bay front with Doric pilasters, stepped out entablature and details. The central bay is a rusticated giant arch, rising over a corbelled date stone, below which is a Venetian-derived central window with round arch heads, keystones and pilasters, and the ground floor entrance below a round headed arch. The side bays each have a tall round arched paned window, with moulded architraves and keystones. The left elevation has five bays, again with tall round arched windows. The right hand elevation has four bays with similar windows, and an adjoining hall. The roof is of slate with small gabled ventilators.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!