Cardigan Castle, Castles and Forts Cardigan, Ceredigion - Wales where to go, what to see and where to stay in Wales


Green Street Cardigan Ceredigion Wales
Cardigan Castle is a castle located in the town of Cardigan, on the banks of the Teifi river in Ceredigion, Wales.| The first motte-and-bailey castle (ca.1093) was built a mile away from the present site, probably about the time of the founding of the town by Roger de Montgomery, a Norman baron.| In 1136 the Welsh leader, Owain Gwynedd, led the defeat of the Norman rulers in the town of Cardigan at the Battle of Crug Mawr. The town was taken and burnt, though the castle was successfully defended by Normans commanded by Robert fitz Martin.| In 1166 it was captured by Rhys ap Gruffydd, who rebuilt it in stone in 1171. After Rhys's death in 1197 his sons, Maelgwn and Gruffydd, disputed their inheritance resulting in Maelgwn surrendering Gruffydd to the Normans and selling the castle to King John. The castle was later held for William Marshall.| Llywelyn the Great captured it in 1215 and at the parliament held at Aberdovey in 1216 made it over to the sons of Gruffydd ap Rhys of Deheubarth, but in 1223 William Marshall the Younger recaptured it. In 1231 the castle was again captured for Llywelyn by Rhys Gryg and his allies. Llywelyn held it until his death in 1240. On Llywelyn's death it fell back into Norman hands, and in 1244 Earl Gilbert of Pembroke rebuilt it with town walls for added protection. It is the remains of this building that still stands overlooking the river.| It was badly damaged during the English Civil War in Wales and until the 18th century it was only used as a prison.| In 1940 the castle and house was bought by Barbara Wood the daughter of a shipping magnate, who moved into Castle Green House with her mother. The castle fell into disrepair to the extent that the outer walls needed supporting by wooden buttresses. The castle's last occupant finally left the castle in the late 1990s and following purchase by the council and considerable renovation work the castle was opened to the public in 2015.| The castle now offers a heritage centre with education facilities, a restaurant, and an events and open-air concert area.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels