Bodnant House, Historic Houses Eglwysbach, Conwy County - Wales where to go, what to see and where to stay in Wales

Availability

Conwy Valley Eglwysbach Conwy_County Wales
Click for more information
Bodnant House sits close to the village of Eglwysbach in Conwy County in the Conwy Valley, North Wales. It was built by Colonel Forbes between 1770 and 1821, at a small distance from the original house called Old Bodnod. The late Georgian house was bought in January 1875 by Henry Pochin, a wealthy industrial chemist and china clay magnate from Lancashire. The house was progressively rebuilt from 1875-6 in Old English style. The house was refaced with hard blue local stone, used Talacre sandstone for window dressings and quoins and replaced the sash windows with stone mullions and casements. The conservatory originally had a gabled porch to the south side and there were double doors to the fernery. Henry Pochin's daughter married the first Lord Aberconway and she, her son and grandson have further developed the house and hugely improved the gardens. The large Drawing-Room wing was added to the north-west tower in 1898. | Bodnant House sits among an area of over 80 acres of world renowned gardens. Most of Bodnant Gardens were first laid out by Henry Pochin, from 1874 onwards until his death in 1895. The garden, but not the House or other parts of the estate, was presented to the National Trust, with an endowment, in 1949. The House was the home of the late Lord Aberconway, and members of his family continue to be actively involved in the management of the garden, its tea pavilion and car parks on behalf of the National Trust.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!