Ystrad Meurig is a village on the B4340 between Aberystwyth and Pontrhydfendygaid in the county of Ceredigion, West Wales. The village sits in the upper Teifi Valley some 6 miles, 10km, from the source of the Teifi and the Teifi Pools. The Pools are a series of lakes in the Plynlimon Hills popular with anglers. (Day tickets are available from the Post Office at Pontryddfendigaid).
On the village outskirts are the remains of a motte and bailey castle commonly thought to have been founded by Gilbert de Clare in the 12th century. Recent excavations however suggest that between the middle of the 6th Century and the end of the 9th Century this was once the site of the royal llys or hall of the Kings of Ceredigion and that some of the earthworks at least are the remains of this.
In 1714 Edward Richard opened up a Welsh grammar school in the small village. Many of the pupils gained distinction and one of them John Williams, became headmaster of Lampeter School. In the 1820s a new college was set up in Lampeter and the numbers coming in to Ystrad Meurig fell. It was closed for good in 1973 and fell into disrepair but fortunately it still stands today and is now used a community centre.