Talley can be found north of Llandeilo in the county of Carmarthenshire, South West Wales. It is famous for its abbey founded here circa 1187 by Rhys ap Gruffydd. The abbey was Cistercian to begin with, but soon became the only White Canon monastery in the country.
The abbey sat beside two lakes, the Upper Talley Lake and the Lower Talley Lake, from which fish was used to feed the monks.
Centuries later, Talley Abbey was dissolved by Henry VIII and the stone from the walls and materials from the roofs were taken by villagers to build their houses in the village and a chapel near the abbey.
Today only the chapel and a quiet cemetery remain among the ruins of the abbey. But what ruins! The imposing remains of the central crossing tower still rise to a height of some 85ft (25.7m), completely dominating the surrounding area, and make a site to behold.