The town of Shotton is part of the Deeside area in Flintshire, North Wales. It is bordered by Connah's Quay to the north west, Queensferry to the east, Ewloe to the south and the river Dee to the north. Nearby towns and villages include Flint, Chester, Mold, Buckley, Bagillt, Holywell, Northop, Hawarden, Broughton and Penyffordd. The name derives from the Old Norse words sjò (sea) and tùn (village).
The church at Shotton is dedicated to St Ethelwold and dates back to 1898. Originally the building should have had a tower and spire, but for some reason these were not added, although a small tower was added in 1924 but never properly completed. The church consists of a clerestory, and a chancel with an apse, the chancel being higher than the nave. At the west end are three small lancet windows with stained glass by Edward Reginald Frampton.
With the dawn of the Industrial Revolution, steel works grew up in Shotton. They were originally owned by John Summers and Sons, and later bought by the government and named British Steel. They are now part of the private Corus group.