Radyr is situated 6 miles, 10km, north of Cardiff city centre, South Wales. It lies on the banks of the river Taff, which rises as the Taf Fechan and the Taf Fawr, joins together at Merthyr Tydfil and flows on to its estuary at Cardiff Bay. The village takes its name from the story of Tylyway, who lived as a hermit near the river Taff, and probably derives from the Welsh word 'adur' which means 'chantry'.
Radyr was an important place during the Industrial Revolution, with the opening of the Mellingriffith tin-plate works in 1774. The works soon became one of the largest and hardest working factories in Britain and continued as a successful business until its closure in 1957. The site is now a housing estate.
The village has some of the best woods to be found in Wales, with footpaths, natural springs and both a kingfisher and duck pond. It is also a Site of Nature Conservation Importance, whilst nearby Hermit Woods has been designated as a Local Nature Reserve.
Two churches are located in Radyr: the Church of John the Baptist and Christ Church. The former is the smallest of the two and dates back to Norman times. Although restored in the Victorian period, it is still simple in structure. The latter, Christ Church, was finished with the completion of the tower in November 1910. The tower holds eight bells, which are inscribed with the names of members of Lietuenant Colonel Fisher's family, who donated the bells.
There are regular bus services to and from Cardiff city centre. Stagecoach's 122 and Cardiff Bus' 33, 33A and 33B travel to and from Morganstown and Radyr, passing through Canton, Fairwater and Danescourt. For places further afield, the Cardiff City Line northbound terminates at Radyr, whilst southbound services travel to Fairwater, Cardiff Central and Coryton. There are also regular services to Merthyr Tydfil, Bridgend, Barry Island, Merthyr Tydfil and Pontypridd.