Presteigne is considered by many to be “the most attractive town” in Powys, Mid Wales. It sits on the Welsh-English border 14.2 miles from Leominster and 22.7 miles from Hereford. The river Lugg passes through from its source at Llangyllo before meeting the Wye at Mordiford, travelling a distance of 45 miles. In olden times Presteigne was famous for its cock-fighting, and for having suffered from a large loss of lives during the plague of 1593.
Presteigne is some three miles from Wales' National Trail the Offa's Dyke Path. Walkers and history buffs, of whom there are many, will appreciate the historic town trail.
Presteigne's Welsh name Llanandras, means the holy place of St Andrew and there has been a place of Christian worship on the site since before the Norman Conquest. Although no one knows when the first church was founded here, the present building dates back to the 14th century, with some parts going as far back as Norman times. During the 19th century St Andrews was restored twice, but some special features still survive including two Norman pillars, 15th century glass, a 15th century piscina and a 14th century embattled tower. The church is said by some to be the finest in Radnorshire.
Presteigne gained status during the 1930s when the Ministry of Labour set up a camp here. It was intended for young men who had been out of work for a long time, and most came from the coal-mining and heavy industrial areas of South Wales. A sister camp was created at Shobdon in Herefordshire.