Pennard is situated between Bishopston and Southgate on the Gower Peninsula, South Wales. It lies 6 miles south west of the city of Swansea and 15 miles from Neath.
Today the village attracts many visitors for its quiet and tranquil atmosphere, as well as its close proximity to the wonderful beaches of Three Cliffs Bay and Pobbles beach. The magnificent golden sands are dotted with rock pools, which are particularly popular with children. Swimming, surfing, sea-canoeing and climbing can all be taken up here.
A walk from Pennard leads past the sand eroded ruins of the medieval Pennard Castle. The castle was built by Henry de Beaumont, first earl of Warwick, in the 12th century, and was refortified in stone around the late 13th century/early 14th century. The de Braoses held the castle during the 13th century, before it passed to the de Mowbray family in 1321. The castle stands lone sentinel over Pennard Burrows to this day.
St Mary's Church sits at the Pennard crossroads. It has been there, or at least parts of it, since the 13th century. The names of the clergy can be traced back to 1345 and two windows (in the South Wall) are of early 13th century design. There are many other interesting historical features including the musician's gallery at the back of the church and the Jacobean pulpit.
There was once another church in Pennard, it stood near the castle, and legend has it that the castle, the church, and surrounding homes were covered with sand by the fairies, who were offended because they had not been invited to a party at the castle. It is a fact that during the 14th and 15th centuries sand encroached on the hamlet and that the vicar wrote to the King's Commissioners asking for help because his parish, church and the vicarage were being destroyed.