Pencoed lies to the north east of Bridgend in South Wales. Pencoed sits to the north of the rolling countryside of the Vale of Glamorgan and the beaches of South Glamorgan. The Ewenny river runs through the village before entering the Ogmore estuary near Ogmore by Sea. The Ewenny is important because it is one of a very small number of rivers in Wales that has a large population of Dace fish.
Coity Castle lies 2.5 miles away from Pencoed and separated from Pencoed by the M4 motorway. Originally held by the Welsh leader Morgan Gam, Payn de Tuberville requested that he own the castle. Gam agreed, but one condition: that de Turberville would either fight him for lordship or marry his daughter Sybil. De Turberville went with the latter and the castle was his.
During the 1180s, when the castle passed into the hands of Gilbert de Turberville, the original timber structure was refortified with stone. A northeast tower and a curtain wall were also added to the building. Further alterations took place during the 14th century, including the introduction of the Middle Gate inside the Inner Bailey. Other features worth noting are the striking fireplaces and ornate annexe.
The 15th century saw Owain Glyndwr, the Welsh rebel prince, invade Coity Castle, but unlike many castles, it did not fall into Glyndwr's hands, as the owners managed to stand against him. After the de Turbeville dynasty ended in the 14th century, the castle was then passed on to the Berkerolles, before landing in the hands of the Gamage family. After Barbara Gamage, the last heir to the castle, married the Earl of Leicester, Robert Sydney, in 1854, the castle was left in isolation and sadly fell into decay. Today the romantic ruins of Coity Castle make a beautiful attraction to visit.