Pen y Fai is a village located in Bridgend County, South Wales. It can be found just to the north of Bridgend close to the M4 motorway, giving easy access to Swansea and Cardiff. The Ogmore river runs through Pen y Fai towards the estuary at Ogmore by Sea.
Pen y Fai has a village shop, a pub (the Pheasant), a school, a chapel and the parish church of All Saints. Bridgend lies to the south, Laleston to the south east, Aberkenfig and Sarn to the north and Coity to the east.
Coity Castle, some 6.5 miles away was originally held by the Welsh leader Morgan Gam, Payn de Turberville requested that he own the castle. Gam agreed, but one condition: that de Turberville would either fight him for lordship or marry his daughter Sybil. De Turberville went with the latter and the castle was his.
During the 1180s, when the castle passed into the hands of Gilbert de Turberville, the original timber structure was refortified with stone. A northeast tower and a curtain wall were also added to the building. Further alterations took place during the 14th century, including the introduction of the Middle Gate inside the Inner Bailey. Other features worth noting are the striking fireplaces and ornate annexe.
The 15th century saw Owain Glyndwr, the Welsh rebel prince, invade Coity Castle, but unlike many castles, it did not fall into Glyndwr's hands, as the owners managed to stand against him. After the de Turberville dynasty ended in the 14th century, the castle was then passed on to the Berkerolles, before landing in the hands of the Gamage family. After Barbara Gamage, the last heir to the castle, married the Earl of Leicester, Robert Sydney, in 1854, the castle was left in isolation and sadly fell into decay. Today the romantic ruins of Coity Castle make a beautiful attraction to visit.