Originally the county town of Radnorshire, Mid Wales, New Radnor now sits in the county of Powys. The A44 passes through the town, leading to Crossgates and Llanfihangel-nant-Melan to the west, and Walton and Kington to the east. Radnor Forest lies to the north.
A church was founded in New Radnor in either the 12th or 13th century. St Mary's church lies on the hill overlooking the town. It is difficult to determine the number of churches that have been built on the spot, but the present one dates to the middle of the 19th Century. The only medieval features are two worn effigies recovered from the churchyard, and fragments of the medieval screen incorporated into the communion rails.
All that is left of New Radnor castle are the remains of a grassy motte, but the place abounds with history. The first castle was built either by William Fitz Osbern, earl of Hereford, or Philip de Breos at the end of the 11th century. During nearby attacks, Einion Clud captured the castle, but when murdered by his brother in 1191, the castle fell into the hands of William de Braose. However, it didn't stay in the de Braose family again for long: Rhys ap Gruffydd returned and seized the castle, which he held until his death in 1197.
In 1200 the castle was back in the hands of William de Braose. He managed to hold it until 1208 when it was seized by King John, who then lost it in 1215 to Giles de Braose. The de Braose family were certainly good at recapturing their castles! Sadly however, King John and Gwallter Clud, in their revenge and hatred, burnt the castle.
Prince Llywelyn ap Iorwerth took custody of the castle in 1231 following the death of the last de Braose, and it was illegally rebuilt in the same year by Richard, first earl of Cornwall. In 1264, with the castle now in the hands of Roger Mortimer, Prince Llywelyn ap Gruffydd, together with Simon de Montfort, took revenge and destroyed the castle. Luckily after that the battle over the castle ended and it was allowed to rest in peace.