Llechryd can be found 3 miles south east of Cardigan in the county of Ceredigion, West Wales. The village derives its name from “Slate Ford”, after slate which used to be extracted from quarries nearby. The slate works were closed by their owner Sir Benjamin Hammett during the late 18th century.
St Tydfil's church was built in 1854 in place of an older church. Because of its position near the bridge, the former church was constantly flooded and had to be abandoned. The present church is a small building complete with a bell tower and ornate windows.
The history of Llechryd includes stories of Rebecca rioters, who destroyed the weir at Llechryd despite London police and marines guarding it.