Llangoed is a village located to the north of Beaumaris, on the Isle of Anglesey, North Wales. The village lies on the banks of the Afon Lleiniog river which flows from the hamlet of Glanrafon and spills into the sea on the shore of the Menai Strait.
Llangoed translates to English as 'the church in the wood', and the 17th-century parish church of St Cawrdaf stands to the north of the village, near a Victorian school and chapel. Much of St Cawrdaf's Church was restored in 1881 by Henry Kennedy, although the north transept is dated 1612, and some stonework dates from an earlier church.
The village straddles the B5109 road with several cottages, a Post Office, grocery store, a pub - the Tafarn Y Rhyd, and chapel. To the south of the village stands a primary school, Ysgol Gynradd Llangoed, and a small housing estate. Undulating green farmland surrounds the village, with fine views to the Menai Strait, the Irish Sea and the mountains of Snowdonia.
To the west of the village stand the ruins of the 11th-century motte-and-bailey fortress, Castell Aberlleiniog.
Castell Aberlleiniog is a medieval castle mound which has the ruins of a mid seventeenth century fort set upon its summit. The castle was traditionally built by Hugh d'Avranches, 1st Earl of Chester in 1088-90. The castle has been restored with the aid of a Heritage Lottery Fund grant and the history of the castle demonstrates the turmoil spread throughout Wales following the Norman invasion of England in 1066 and their subsequent incursion into the principality. It is a pleasant walk from the village to visit the Castle.
The rolling landscape around Llangoed invites a ramble – and there are several walks criss-crossing the fields including the 'Seiriol and Iestyn Circular Walks' and the 'Cawrdaf Circular Walk' both of which cut through the village. Those who prefer a more strenuous effort, however, might appreciate the All Wales Coastal Path that passes within a mile of the village and offers a circumnavigation of Wales totalling 1,047 miles!