Llanbrynmair is a village located alongside the A470 road between Caersws and Machynlleth, in Powys, Mid Wales. The village stands at the convergence of the valleys of the rivers Twymyn, Rhiwsaeson and Laen. The three rivers join around the village and flow westwards as the Afon Twymyn towards the Afon Dyfi (River Dovey) and Cardigan Bay.
Sitting on the edge of the Cambrian Mountain Range the landscape is crossed by a myriad of trails and rights of way, with the Glyndwr National Trail passing through the village itself.
The 135 mile / 217km Glyndwr Trail is a long distance circular walk which can be enjoyed as a continuous journey, typically taking around nine days, or over a series of weekend or day trips. It begins at Knighton on the English border and meanders through the open moorland, rolling farmland, woodland and forestry of Mid Wales, through the town of Llanbrynmair and on toward Machynlleth, which was the capital of Wales in 1404, finishing by the Montgomeryshire Canal in Welshpool.
Other attractions within the village include Machinations, the only permanent exhibition of contemporary Automata (mechanical moving models) in the UK. Their hands-on interactive moving model characters spin, whirl or bob up and down with fascinating mechanisms displaying cogs, cams and levers - an infinite variety of movement. Children will enjoy the Play Barn and Rabbit Village.
Horse riding, fishing and mountain biking are all available in the vicinity of Llanbrynmair, and a good road network makes many of Wales' top attractions easily attainable, including the Centre for Alternative Technology, King Arthurs Labyrinth, Powys Castle, Montgomeryshire Canal and steam train rides.
The Wynnstay Arms Public House standing on the A470 offers good food and ale, while St Marys Church offers succour to both the body and the soul.
St Marys Church Llanbrynmair is located in the village of Llan in the community of Llanbrynmair. St Marys Church was traditionally founded in the 6th Century, but its original dedication is unknown and it is thought to have been rededicated to St Mary in the 12th Century. The church is sited on a slight knoll in a central position in the old village of Llan some 1 mile south of Llanbrynmair. The core of the church is thought to be 14th or 15th Century, and the one surviving original window is 15th Century but it is now re-sited in the north transept and lacks the top of its original square-topped frame. The western bell-turret, retains its original oak uprights and may have been erected in the 17th Century, although it is much repaired.
The parish of Llanbrynmair played a prominent role in the emigration to America during the 19th and early 20th Centuries. This was part of the movement of Welsh religious independents to break away from the established Church of England. The parish is reputed to have been the source of the most emigrants, per capita, to America of any in Wales. The first of them departed Llanbrynmair in 1796. A large proportion of these emigrants settled in western Ohio, particularly in the rural farming communities of Paddy's Run (now Shandon), Gomer and Venedocia. The two most prominent emigrants were Edward Bebb and Ezekiel Hughes, who settled in Butler County, Ohio near Paddy's Run. Edward Bebb's son, William, became governor of the State of Ohio.