Llanbradach is situated north of Caerphilly in South Wales. It lies along the A469 road, which runs from Cardiff in the south to Rhymney in the north. The Rhymney river also flows through the town, onwards through Bedwas and Llanrumney, before joining the Severn estuary at Cardiff Bay.
There are many walks criss-crossing the hills and valleys and it is little more than a mile to the Rhymney Valley Ridgeway Walk that overlooks both the Rhymney and Syrhowy Valleys.
Llanbradach made its name as a former coal mining village. The first colliery opened in the early 1890s and by 1913 was employing 2,832, which made it one of the biggest pits in the South Wales Coalfield. With the closure of the colliery in 1961 the village fell into a state of unemployment. Fortunately, today Llanbradach is a peaceful place, with several pubs, a youth centre, shopping area, recreation ground and a library.
The viaduct was constructed in order for coal to be transported to the port at Barry, and was the only way the railway could pass through the Rhymney valley. Not only was it highly used, but it was one of the most impressive landmarks in Llanbradach and helped to put the village on the map. Sadly by the 1930s Llanbradach viaduct was closed. Most of the trackbed was removed, apart from a small section which was made into the A468 road. The road closed in 1958 and all that remains of the viaduct today is the Taff Bank pier and an angled pillar.