The village of Llanasa is located in the north of the county of Flintshire, North Wales. It lies within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and has been designated a Conservation Area. Llanasa lies one mile from the coast between the towns of Prestatyn to the west and Holywell to the south east.
Walks, Cycle Trails and Other Activities
The village is popular with walkers and cyclists, which is not surprising with several walks including the Offa's Dyke route, the Clwydian Way, and the North Wales Cycle Path passing either through the village or within a few miles of Llanasa.
The village consists of approximately 60 properties including the current church (circa 15th century), a coach house (circa 1636), a public house and restaurant (The Red Lion, circa 1600), and even their very own castle (Gyrn Castle, circa 1850).
Castles and Forts
The Parish Church of Llanasa, dedicated to St Asaph and St Kentigern (Cyndeyrn), was recorded in the Domesday Book and there has been a place of worship on this site for over 1,400 years when it is thought that St Asaph erected the first building between 560 and 573.
The double-naved structure was erected in the 15th Century in Perpendicular style and it is conceivable that some of the walling could be from a 13th Century or 14th Century structure.
Inside the church there are several items of interest including the east window, a Perpendicular style font, a brass chandelier, 14th Century sepulchral slab of the father of Owain Glyndwr, and a 17th Century pulpit.
The east window dates back to the 16th Century, and is thought to have been brought here from Basingwerk Abbey after the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII in 1536
The sepulchral stone of Gruffydd Fychan, the father of the Welsh freedom fighter, Owain Glyndwr, lies within the church vestry. It bears the lion rampant on a shield with a sword underlying the shield. The shield is inscribed around the edges and is typical of the 14th century masons decorative work.
The Red Lion Inn, Llanasa, is a popular pub and restaurant in the village of Llanasa in Flintshire, North Wales. The Red Lion has received good reviews for the restaurant since it's reopening in 2011 following redecoration, and it has a good selection of beers to slake the thirst of walkers and cyclists.
Llanasa Village Hall :
The Village Hall was formally The Victorian School built in 1859 for the Church authorities. The Llanasa Village Hall is at the centre of the village opposite the Parish Church. It is used by many different groups within the Parish and Village and is available for hire for private functions such as weddings, christenings and other receptions.