Halkyn (Welsh: Helygain) is a village in Flintshire, north-east Wales. The village stands a few hundred yards to the west of the A55 road, some three miles north-west of Northop, and three miles south-west of the Dee Estuary at Flint.
The elevated position of the village, near the top of Halkyn Mountain, offers spectacular views over the Dee and Mersey rivers, and the distant Cumbrian mountains.
The village has a parish church, a public house (the Blue Bell Inn), a library, and a Post Office Local. The Blue Bell Halkyn Post Office opened as a Post Office Local in January 2014. The Blue Bell Inn's Post Office is unique in that it is the first in Wales that will provide daily services over a joint Post Office counter and bar.
Walks, Cycle Trails and Other Activities
There is a myriad of easy-to-tackle footpaths that criss-cross the landscape around Halkyn and Halkyn Mountain.
Halkyn Mountain Woods and Hillforts Walk:
The Trail is based on and around Halkyn Mountain, which is part of Halkyn Common, an ancient common covering about 2,000 acres overlooking the Dee Estuary, the Cheshire Plains and The Clwydian Range.
The Walk takes you through woodland, up to an iron-age hillfort and across open grazing land with magnificent views.
The Trail is about three and a half miles long and should take you about three hours to complete. The ground can be quite wet in places so be sure to wear appropriate footwear. The Trails starts and ends at The Blue Bell Inn, Halkyn, which welcomes walkers.
Free guided walks around Halkyn Mountain start from the Blue Bell Inn. Telephone the pub on 01352 780309 or the Walkabout Flintshire Co-ordinator on 01352 702477 for more information.
St Mary the Virgin Church, Halkyn:
The Church of St Mary the Virgin, Halkyn, stands to the north of the village and visitors to North Wales can see its fine tower while travelling along the A55.
Although there has been a church at Halkyn for at least 1000 years, the present building dates only from 1878. The old church was demolished, and an entirely new building was erected a short distance away, the cost being met in full by the Duke of Westminster. The new church was consecrated on 29 October 1878.
It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of St Asaph. The Gothic Revival church is designated by Cadw as a Grade I listed building and consists of a chancel, a four-bay nave with a north aisle, a south porch and a tower at the north-east corner.