Coity is a small village in Bridgend county, South Wales. It is 1.5km south of the M4 motorway, and 3.5km east of the Ogwr Fawr river which flows into the estuary at Ogmore-by-Sea. However, the most important feature of Coity is its Norman castle which dominates the village.
Originally held by the Welsh leader Morgan Gam, Payn de Tuberville requested that he own the castle. Gam agreed, but one condition: that de Turberville would either fight him for lordship or marry his daughter Sybil. De Turberville went with the latter and the castle was his.
During the 1180s, when the castle passed into the hands of Gilbert de Turberville, the original timber structure was refortified with stone. A northeast tower and a curtain wall were also added to the building. Further alterations took place during the 14th century, including the introduction of the Middle Gate inside the Inner Bailey. Other features worth noting are the striking fireplaces and ornate annexe.
The 15th century saw Owain Glyndwr, the Welsh rebel prince, invade Coity Castle, but unlike many castles, it did not fall into Glyndwr's hands, as the owners managed to stand against him. After the de Turbeville dynasty ended in the 14th century, the castle was then passed on to the Berkerolles, before landing in the hands of the Gamage family. After Barbara Gamage, the last heir to the castle, married the Earl of Leicester, Robert Sydney, in 1854, the castle was left in isolation and sadly fell into decay. Today the romantic ruins of Coity Castle make a beautiful attraction to visit.