Chirk, known as Y Waen in Welsh, is a town in the county of Wrexham North Wales. The town is located to the south east of Llangollen and to the south of Ruabon. Chirk is situated above the confluence of the River Ceiriog and the River Dee.
The name Chirk is thought to be a corrupted English word from the name Church. The Welsh name Y Waen translates to mean The Moor.
The strategic position of Chirk gave rise to a motte and bailey castle built by the Normans in the early 12th century. In 1310 the Marcher fortress of Chirk Castle was completed and today guards the entrance to the Ceiriog Valley. Chirk Castle is a national trust property and is among a number of attractions at Chirk, including the historic remnants of Offa's Dyke.
Walks, Cycle Trails and Other Activities
Offa's Dyke, which runs the whole length of the English and Welsh border, is thought to have been built to keep the English in and the Welsh out. Offa's Dyke Path is one of the most attractive and varied National Trails. The route passes across wide river valleys, ancient woodland and high wild moorland. Hill forts, castles, abbeys and habitation remains can be seen as well as beautiful and contrasting scenery.
The Chirk Aqueduct, of the Llangollen Canal, is an impressive attraction and is 21m high and 220m long. The aqueduct was completed in 1801 and consists of 12 arches which are each 12m wide. Another lovely attraction is the Ceiriog Memorial Institute which is in the Ceiriog Valley and was founded in the 1900's. The institute contains collections of Welsh cultural memorabilia supporting the Welsh language.