Caldicot (Welsh: Cil-y-coed) is a town in Monmouthshire, southeast Wales. The town is situated close to the north banks of the Severn estuary, between the larger towns of Chepstow, to the east, and Newport, to the west.
Caldicot has easy access by motorway and rail to Cardiff, and, via the Old Severn Bridge, the Railway Tunnel, and the Second Severn Crossing, to the City of Bristol.
Caldicot is the location of Caldicot Castle and lake. The area has popular way-marked footpaths along the Caldicot Levels and the Wales Coastal Path can be walked. Nearby are Caerwent and Wentwood. To the north-west, Dewstow House dates from the early 19th Century, with extensive gardens and grottoes - undergoing restoration since 2000 - and now open to the public.
Caldicot library was built in 1995.
Caldicot Leisure Centre has a sports centre, which includes an indoor swimming pool, squash courts and both indoor and outdoor games pitches.
Castles and Forts
Caldicot Castle is an extensive stone medieval castle standing in a beautiful setting of tranquil gardens and a wooded country park.
The castle, founded by the Normans from about 1100, has a romantic and colourful history.
It was built near the site of Harold Godwinson's former Saxon castle, and developed in royal hands as a stronghold in the Middle Ages. It was in the possession of Thomas of Woodstock, a son of King Edward III of England, until his death in 1391, when it reverted to the Crown.
In Victorian times, Caldicot Castle was restored as a Victorian family home.
Living History Weekends take place at the Castle, with living history encampments and demonstrations of cookery and crafts. Talks are given on Medieval Welsh Archers, armour and weapons.
Walks, Cycle Trails and Other Activities
Caldicot is surrounded by history, heritage and great countryside and the town itself has within it the prominent Caldicot Castle, a grand country manor set within a 55-acre country park. Two circular walks encompass Caldicot Castle itself, while for something a little longer there is the Severnside Heritage Trail.
Encompassing Caldicot as well as the nearby Magor and Rogiet, the trail explores the areas medieval, industrial and pastoral past as well as its current rich fauna & flora.
The renowned Wales Coastal Path skirts the town en-route from Cardiff to Chepstow via the banks of the Severn estuary.
St Mary's Church, Caldicot. Caldecot (cold shelter) is mentioned in the Domesday book of 1086. A charter of King John refers to the church here. It was built during that time by Augustinian canons from Llantony Secunda priory in Gloucester (founded by Milo Fitzwalter, Lord of Caldicot, constable of England) to replace the earlier church of St Bride which stood on this site before 900.
The canons built 'Llantony Secunda Manor' in Church Road. The church was built soon after Milo Fizwalter's father constructed the keep of Caldicot castle (Castell Concuit) sometime before 1127.
This beautiful and ancient parish church of 'our lady of Caldecot' was enlarged in the 14th and 15th centuries and further restored in Victorian times. It contains Caldicot's war memorials and its tenor bell, the oldest of a ring of eight, dates from 1450.
The church has several stained glass windows of interest.