Abergele sits between Colwyn Bay and Rhyl in Conwy county, North Wales. It is bordered by the A55 expressway and the Irish Sea to the north, Llanfair Talheiarn to the south, Rhuddlan to the east and Llysfaen to the west. Nearby towns and villages include Moelfre, Pensarn, Belgrano, Llandudno, Llanddulas, Towyn and Conwy. The meaning of the name Abergele can be deduced by 'aber' being the Welsh word for estuary and 'gele' the name of the river which flows through the town.
Gwrych Castle sits to the west of Abergele. Built in 1819 for Lloyd Hesketh Bamford-Hesketh, it stayed with his granddaughter Winifred's family for several years until it was sold to Mr Robert Rennie in 1946. From there it passed along to many different people, and attracted millions of visitors each year. The castle, which dominates a hillside near Abergele, along with its magnificent gardens, finally closed in 1985. Plans are in place to convert Gwrych into a grand hotel. A watchtower, known as Lady Emilys Tower, can also be spotted amongst the woodland nearby.
The parish church at Abergele is dedicated to St Michael and most of the building dates back to the 14th century. This includes the font pedestal, rood screen and oak chest. During the Victorian era many churches underwent heavy restoration and St Michael's was no exception, with new flooring and benches, as well as an organ, being added to the building. The font bowl dates back to 1663.
Abergele is also the location of the 1868 train disaster, which was the worst railway disaster of its time. 33 passengers were killed when the Irish Mail train, on its way to Holyhead, collided with two runaway carriages carrying 8000 litres of paraffin oil.