Aberarth is a small seaside village situated on the A487 coastal road between Aberystwyth and Cardigan, at the mouth of the River Arth in Ceredigion, Wales.
In days gone by the village was a busy shipbuilding centre and boasted eight pubs or inns. Sadly there are no pubs in the village today but the village stands just a mile or so north east of the busy resort of Aberaeron. The beach is mostly pebbles but sand is visible when there are exceptionally low tides, and it is very popular with surfers at certain times of the year.
Walkers will appreciate rural trails including the Arth Valley and of course the All Wales Coastal Path that cuts through the village en-route from the north to the south of Wales.
The village was founded around the time of the Norman invasion, when Dinierth Castle (now in ruins) was built further up the river valley.
During the 12th Century Cistercian monks used the area as a seaport to import stone from Bristol which they used for the building of Strata Florida Abbey on land granted to them by The Lord Rhys.
Llanddewi Aberarth Church sits on a hill about half a mile south of the village, and is dedicated to St David. The church is reputedly on the site of a 9th century church. The present parish church has a Norman tower with the rest rebuilt in the Victorian era in 1860. Secured to the wall inside the front door are several memorial stones including the only Viking hogsback stone found in Wales.