Oswestry is an historic market town in Shropshire, England. The town lies to the south of Chirk and north east of Welshpool on the border between England and Wales. Because Oswestry is situated only a few miles from the Welsh border, it has been in both Welsh and English hands.
In 1535 the town finally settled under English rule. The nearby great Iron Age Hill fort is considered to have been a dwelling from 550BC until 75AD when the Romans are thought to have arrived. Since the Middle Ages, Oswestry has attracted crowds for trade. Custom and products would come from both sides of the border selling and buying anything from wool to cattle.
The town expanded in 1860 when the Cambrian Railway based their headquarters here. Sadly, there is no longer a rail service in Oswestry.
Walks, Cycle Trails and Other Activities
The town lies within two miles of the historic Offa's Dyke, which runs the whole length of the English and Welsh border and is thought to have been built to keep the English in and the Welsh out. Offa's Dyke Path is one of the most attractive and varied National Trails. The route passes across wide river valleys, ancient woodland and high wild moorland. Hill forts, castles, abbeys and habitation remains can be seen as well as beautiful and contrasting scenery.
For those who would prefer a shorter trail there is the option of the Ceiriog Valley. The scenic walk along the banks of the River Ceiriog is five miles north of Oswestry. The river, which runs through Llwynmawr and along through Chirk provides one of the nicest walks in North Wales, and is fairly easygoing, with charming views and picture-book landscapes.
Chirk Castle lies in the Ceiriog Valley and is well worth a visit. The castle was completed in 1310, the castle is the last Welsh castle from the reign of Edward I that is still lived in today. A medieval tower and dungeon are among the attractions on offer at this 700 year old National Trust building as well as a 17th century long gallery, grand 18th century state apartments, servants' hall and also historic laundry quarters.