Radyr is situated 6 miles, 10km, north of Cardiff city centre, South Wales. It lies on the banks of the river Taff, which rises as the Taf Fechan and the Taf Fawr, joins together at Merthyr Tydfil and flows on to its estuary at Cardiff Bay. The village takes its name from the story of Tylyway, who lived as a hermit near the river Taff, and probably derives from the Welsh word 'adur' which means 'chantry'.
Radyr was an important place during the Industrial Revolution, with the opening of the Mellingriffith tin-plate works in 1774. The works soon became one of the largest and hardest working factories in Britain and continued as a successful business until its closure in 1957. The site is now a housing estate. ....
More Radyr Tourist Information >>