Nantyglo is a village south of Brynmawr in the county of Blaenau Gwent, South Wales. It is bordered by Blaina to the south, Ebbw Vale to the west and Garn yr Erw to the east. The villages and towns of Tredegar, Rhymney, Ebbw Vale, Crickhowell, Abergavenny, Merthyr Tydfil, Cwm, Blaenavon, Abertillery, Llanhilleth, Crumlin, Blackwood, Newbridge and Bargoed are all close by.
The village is steeped in history, being one of the main industrial villages in Blaenau Gwent. In 1816, the owners of Nantyglo Ironworks, Crawshay and Joseph Bailey, were so terrified that they would be killed when riots ensued between their workers, that they built two towers, now known as the Nantyglo Roundhouses. Interestingly they were the last castle-type fortifications to be built in the United Kingdom.
Parc Nant y Waun is a nature reserve close to Nantyglo and comprises a network of mires, grassland and reservoirs covering 22 hectares of land. It is home to an abundance of wildlife and includes an Angling Club, Outdoor Classroom and picnic area.
More Nantyglo Tourist Information >>