South Stack Lighthouse is located on the north west tip of Anglesey North Wales. The lighthouse sits on the South Stack Rock, a small island separated from Holy Island by 100ft, 30m of rough water. The dramatic cliffs that form the edge of this part of Holy Island are a haven for sea birds and indeed South Stack Cliffs are an RSPB reserve.
The lighthouse was established in 1809 and the lighting system has been replaced several times with the present automated light being installed in 1984. The height of the lighthouse tower is 91ft, 28m. Visitors may access South Stack by descending 400 rock cut steps to a relatively new (1997) footbridge. Which is quite an improvement on the original system that involved sliding down a rope in a basket!
Review South Stack Lighthouse.