The Llanddulas Jetty is located off the seafront at Llanddulas, Conwy County, North Wales. There are two jetties both used for loading crushed limestone (that is quarried in the Llanddulas Quarries) onto boats for export to various destinations. The North Wales Coastal Path and the A55 expressway pass close to the jetties. The large concrete anchor like structures, Dolos, in the foreground of the picture (of which there are 20,000 with each one weighing some 5 Tons) where put in place to protect the A55 from coastal erosion. Llanddulas Quarries have a history dating back to at least 1284 AD when the Bishop of Bangor was awarded the right to quarry the limestone from Llanddulas as a fee for christening the young King Edward 1 of England. Today(2010)the western jetty, known as Raynes Jetty, is owned by Cemex. It is used to export limestone aggregates directly from Raynes Quarry. A range of materials is available and products are sent to various locations in the UK and the near-continent for use in the construction and chemical industries. Vessels up to 5000 dwt are loaded.
Review Llanddulas Jetty.