Cemaes harbour is a stone harbour in Cemaes Bay in
the north of Anglesey, North Wales. The bay itself is protected by two
rock headlands of Trwyn y Penrhyn and Trwyn y Parc, but after a severe
storm in 1828, it was felt that a new pier should be built. Ships up to
400 tons were built in Cemaes during the 19th Century and the harbour
trade included coal imports and exports of limestone, corn, marble,
bricks, lime and ocre. The successful mining activities on nearby Parys
Mountain provided an added incentive to extend the harbour and the new
harbour was completed in 1835. Today the pier is still the centre of the
community harbouring both leisure craft and working fishing boats. This
is reflected in the harbour furniture where lobster pots are stacked
alongside benches where tourists sit to eat their fish and chips.
Review Cemaes Harbour.