St Tysilio's Church, on Church Island in the Menai
Strait, is a 15th Century church dedicated to the Celtic Saint Tysilio.
It is reached by following the path from the Menai Bridge to the Belgian
Promenade, a walkway that was constructed by Belgian refugees during
the first World War. The Promenade joins up with the causeway that
connects the island to the mainland. A short and winding path leads
under the overhanging branches of a large yew tree to the old oak church
door. A plaque above the door states that the church was founded in the
7th Century by St Tysilio, but it seems to be accepted that the present
church was built in the 1400's. No one knows who built the present
church but it is a lovely little stone building with a grand front door.
Review St Tysilio's Church, Church Island.