This is a tiny little church in the village of Rhos on
Sea, so small it would be difficult to hold an argument. To be truthful
you could probably squeeze in six worshippers, and it is thought to
be the smallest church in Wales and indeed the whole of the British
Isles. It is located close to Rhos Point the finger of land jutting out
into the Irish sea between Penrhyn Bay and Colwyn Bay. The history of
the Chapel is believed to date back to St Trillo a 6th Century Saint who
established his "Llan", an enclosure of land, in the area of Rhos on
Sea, and the altar is built directly over a pre-Christian well. Opinion
is divided about the age of the building but there is little doubt that
it has been rebuilt over the years. There is no doubt that Christians
have worshipped on the site for nearly 1500 years, King Maelgwn Gwynedd
walked the land when the church was established and may have worshipped
here, and to this day the site is still visited for the holy water and
as a place of Christian worship.
The Chapel is close to the Rhos Point fishing weir, where the monks of
Rhos Fynach had been catching fish for hundreds of years, and it is
believed that prayers were offered in the Chapel for successful fishing.
Review Saint Trillo's Chapel.