Supposedly the oldest surviving church in Wales, Llanrhychwyn is known as Llewelyn the Great’s old church, (Prince Llywelyn ap Iorwerth or Llywelyn Fawr) used before he built Trefriw in 1230. The church has many interesting features including a very old square font, and a very early example of stained glass in the east window. The oldest part of the present church dates from the late 11th century. Llywelyn had a hunting lodge in Trefriw, and he and his his wife Siwan, or Joan, the youngest daughter of King John of England would climb the steep hill to Llanrhychwyn church. Joan understandably grew weary of the climb and as a result, in about 1230, Llywelyn endowed another church on the valley floor on the site where St Mary's Church of Trefriw now stands.