Llanfechell Church stands in the village of
Llanfechell, near the town of Cemaes in Anglesey. Built in the 12th
century, much of the church was changed over the centuries: during the
13th century the chancel was lengthened, and a slab and an oaken bier,
having been in the church since anyone can remember, have 1601 carved
into them. Two legends surround the construction of the church tower:
firstly, that the Chapel House across the road used to be a brewery and
when the bell rang the beer would turn sour; and secondly, Colonel
Hughes-Hunter from Brynddu used to complain that when the bell rang his
bees would become disturbed and stop producing honey. So the tower was
built to quiet the sound of the bell ringing in Llanfechell! Llanfechell
is just 3 mins south of Cemaes along Ffordd y Felin.
Review Llanfechell Church.