sits on the headland overlooking Tremadog Bay in Criccieth, North
Wales. The 13th century castle towers over the town of Criccieth to this
day. The Castle was founded by the Welsh Prince Llywelyn ap Iorwerth
(Llywelyn Fawr), and extended by Llywelyn ap Gruffudd (Llywelyn the
Last). After the English King Edward 1's successful campaign against the
Welsh in 1283 the castle was again strengthened and extended, but this
time by the English invaders.
Owain Glyn Dŵr sealed Criccieth’s fate when his
troops captured and burnt the castle in the early years of the 15th
century. This was to be the last major Welsh rebellion against the
Criccieth Castle may also
have given the name to the town rather than the other way round. Its
suggested origins are ‘crug caeth’ – ‘crug’ (hill in Welsh), ‘caith’
(captives) – the name given to the jail on the hill, a function once
held by the castle.
Review Criccieth Castle.